By Bill Mefford
THE greatest blessing in my life and in the life of my family has been the gift of my youngest son, Isaiah, who is adopted. He is an absolutely amazing young man. I have never known someone who is so loyal, so giving, so thoughtful, and so damn good at sports! I love Isaiah with all of my heart and soul. And because we have an open adoption Marti and I have also been given the gift of knowing his amazing birth parents who we love dearly.
We adopted Isaiah just months after we adopted Isaiah we went back to school where I eventually earned my Doctorate in Missiology. My previous job was ending and we felt it was a right time both to add to our family, to make our equally amazing oldest son an older brother (and he is the BEST older brother in the world!), and to go back to school. It was probably not the best time to do all of this financially, but we knew we could because of the adoption tax credit.
Right now, the supposedly pro-life, pro-family Republican Congress is considering doing something that will be devastating to future adoptive families. In an effort to save money for massive tax cuts to the wealthy and to corporations, Republicans want to eliminate the Adoption Tax Credit. This is so horrifying and will make adoption virtually impossible for all but the richest of families.
So, if you believe in families, if you believe in adoption, here is what we need to do - we need to raise holy hell!
Here is a list of what to do:
- Share this, especially with adoptive parents and those who have been touched by adoption.
- Call your Representative (202) 224-3121 and follow the prompts to get to your Representative AND call BOTH of your Senators (202)-224-3121 and follow the prompts to get to your Senators (BOTH!). And tell them that you oppose the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act and ESPECIALLY the Republican attempt to eliminate the Adoption Tax Credit.
- If you are in a safely blue area where you know your member is against the Republican tax cuts, STILL CALL! We desperately need Members of Congress who will speak and name SPECIFICALLY that they oppose tax cuts because of the proposed elimination of the adoption tax credit.
- Share this! Especially with those who have been touched by adoption.
- TWEET! Here is a sample tweet and feel free to add your elected member's Twitter handle: #Shame on @RepKevinBrady $ @SpeakerRyan for undermining families and the process #Adoption by eliminating the #AdoptionTaxCredit. Please be #profamily and remember this is #adoptionawarenessmonth
- Did I mention to SHARE THIS!!!
- For more information, please check out this very helpful website.
I am disgusted at the hypocrisy that has so long fashioned itself as the pro-family party but who are so quickly and so easily willing to dump adoptive families over the side of the boat.
Let's defend adoption!